I originally wrote this list for my daughter.
She was still single, and articles were always flying around about what kind of man to marry. I would read them and scratch my head. Something was missing.
So, I started writing, and this is what came out. For everything I thought a husband should be, I realized there was a proper response for the woman. That made sense to me.
Personally, I appreciate reminders like this. We aren’t wrong to want better from our husbands, but let’s focus instead on giving him our best. Let’s put down the magnifying glass, and pick up a mirror. You will see, it is a very different picture.
1. He must listen to you.
2. He must keep growing.
Be the sunshine of his life.
3. He must have a grateful heart.
Be considerate of his needs.
4. He must care about your personal growth.
Be willing to change.
5. He must never give up.
Be merciful, when he fails.
6. He must make you laugh.
Be charmed by his efforts.
7. He must be in love with God.
Be sure God is your first love, too.
8. He must be the priest of your home.
Be his intercessor.
9. He must be affectionate.
Be his comfort.
10. He must be generous.
Be a good steward.
11. He must be a provider.
Be content with what you have.
13. He must defend you.
Be careful to choose your fights well.
14. He must hold himself to a biblical standard.
Be “a woman who fears God.” (Proverbs 31)
15. He must have a servant’s heart.
Be willing to serve alongside him.
16. He must communicate.
Be a good listener.
17. He must make you feel beautiful.
Be the woman who makes him feel like a man.
18. He must care about your interests.
Be invested in his.
19. He must be respectful of your family.
Be in love with his.
20. He must be kind and gentle.
Be strong and supportive.
21. He must be transparent.
Be slow to anger.
22. He must be your Brother in Christ.
Be first his Sister, than his wife.
23. He must cherish you.
Be respectful of him.
24. He must share the duties of homekeeping.
Be a good manager of your home.
25. He must lay down his life for you.
Be his best friend.